The Southwest Oral History Association (SOHA) was founded in 1981 to serve practitioners of oral history in Arizona, Southern California, Nevada, New Mexico and contiguous areas. Today, we have expanded to Texas, Oklahoma, Central and Northern California, and other arts of the Southwest. Through publications, meetings, workshops and special events, we support and promote oral history as a method for exploring and recording history, culture, and current experiences. In this endeavor, we cooperate with other organizations and institutions in the region and maintain close ties with the national Oral History Association. Visit www.southwestoralhistory.org to learn more. Please become a member by visiting https://squareup.com/store/southwest-oral-history-association. We hope to see you at SOHA’s Annual Conference, March 27-29, 2020, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Please see our Call for Proposals with a deadline of January 6, 2020.
It was wonderful seeing our network at the Oral History Association conference in Salt Lake City, Utah! Thank you for joining us. Congratulations to Dr. García, the 2019 Mink awardee, and all the award recipients. Please see some highlights from this year’s conference.
See you at UNLV March 27-29, 2020. Participate by submitting a proposal. See https://www.southwestoralhistory.org/SOHA2020_CFP.pdf for more information.
Please share this award event PDF with the SOHA community! We look forward to seeing you in Salt Lake City.
CSU Dominguez Hills Gerth Archives and Special Collections will be hosting “Oral History 101,” an
introductory workshop to the field of
oral history, on Thursday, October 24th from 1:30-3:30. 파일조 쿠폰
The workshop will take attendees from initial idea through finished
product. We will cover the basics of oral history, project planning,
technology, interview setup, writing questions, release forms, providing
access and/or a transcript, available resources, and preservation. Additionally, the workshop will include a
series of question and answer examples to help individuals hone
interviewing skills and provoke additional discussion in the workshop.
Dear SOHA Member:
First and foremost, we want to thank you for your continued participation in SOHA. Without your loyalty and support, we would not be able to actively develop our communities and continuously provide our members with valuable benefits. Put simply, you, our members, make what we do possible. Over the last year, you have enabled us to accomplish a number of initiatives:
- Our 2018 Annual Conference, co-sponsored with the Lawrence de Graaf Center for Oral and Public History at California State University, Fullerton, was a great success and drew participants from throughout our region and across the country. During the conference we proudly presented our annual James V. Mink Award to longtime SOHA member and OHA leader Dr. Natalie Fousekis.
- Our Scholarships and Mini-Grants Awards programs continue to be a strong and vital part of our efforts. This year we are giving an unprecedented number of awards to a wide variety of recipients and practitioners. We provide highlights of their work in our newsletters, website, and social media platforms.
- We are cosponsoring the 2019 Oral History Association conference October 16-20 in Salt Lake City, UT. This means reduced rates for SOHA members. It also means that there will be special SOHA sessions and our annual Awards reception on October 19, which is open to all participants.
- As mandated by our organizational By-Laws, we now are holding elections for the 2019-21 SOHA Board of Directors. If you will be attending the OHA Salt Lake City conference, please join us for our Business Meeting on Saturday, October 19 at the conference hotel, where the elections will be held. See our SOHA Board Nomination Candidate Statements.
- Last but not least, we are planning our 2020 SOHA Conference for March 27-29 at our home institution, the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Our Call for Proposals announced the annual conference with the theme of “Home(Lands) and Oral Histories of (Re)Vitalization” at the Lied Library on the campus of the University of Nevada.
We hope you have benefited personally and professionally from your membership with SOHA. You can continue to support our organization in its mission to promote oral history understanding, cooperation, guidance, and community-based as well as institutional programs. Be sure to let us know if you have any suggestions. We’d love to hear your feedback!
Please renew now at https://squareup.com/store/southwest-oral-history-association .
Jennifer Keil, Interim President
Juan D. Coronado, Past President
Marcia M. Gallo, Past President
Anthony Graham, 2019-20 SOHA Graduate Assistant
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-5020
Make sure your SOHA membership is up-to-date (calendar year renewal) to receive the special SOHA registration rate for this year’s OHA conference!
OHA-AIG September Conference Call Agenda 파일조 쿠폰
Date: 파일조 쿠폰 Friday, September 20, 2019 파일조 쿠폰
Time: 파일조 쿠폰 1-2:30 PM EST 파일조 쿠폰
Facilitator: 파일조 쿠폰Heidi Abbey Moyer 파일조 쿠폰
Recorder: 파일조 쿠폰 Volunteer Needed! 파일조 쿠폰
Location: 파일조 쿠폰 Zoom Meeting. To join Zoom, please use 파일조 쿠폰https://psu.zoom.us/j/748664192 파일조 쿠폰
Alternatively, if you don’t have a webcam and want to connect by phone, please see the following information to join in the call: For iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16468769923,748664192# or +16699006833,748664192#. 파일조 쿠폰
Or Telephone: Dial: +1 646 876 9923 (US Toll) +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll) Meeting ID: 748 664 192 파일조 쿠폰
Please Note: 파일조 쿠폰 This session will be recorded if there is consensus to do so from all participants. Previous discussions that were recorded can be accessed on the group’s Google Drive at this link: 파일조 쿠폰https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zj24JGIACZDbEtNrdisOL-yG8mDD21Jy 파일조 쿠폰. 파일조 쿠폰
I. Welcome and Brief Introductions (1:00 PM EST 파일조 쿠폰)
II. September “Discussion of Practice” (1:10-2:00 PM EST) 파일조 쿠폰
Presenter: 파일조 쿠폰 Dr. Charlie Hardy, Professor of History, West Chester University, and former President of OHA 파일조 쿠폰
Topic: 파일조 쿠폰 “Sonological Competence: How to Communicate Effectively in Sound” 파일조 쿠폰
Additional documents for this session: 파일조 쿠폰Please find attached to this email a pre-discussion questionnaire (send in to Dr. Hardy by end of day Thursday); a short bio; and an article by Dr. Hardy. 파일조 쿠폰
III. Sept Business Meeting (2:00~2:30 PM EST) 파일조 쿠폰
1) Updates on previous business: 파일조 쿠폰
Annual OHA-AIG 파일조 쿠폰Report 파일조 쿠폰
SAA-Oral History Section 2019 Meeting —presentation about OHA-AIG 파일조 쿠폰
2) Update on OHA-AIG Meeting at the Annual OHA Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, (October 16-20, 2019) 파일조 쿠폰
Committee Meeting Date/Time/ Logistics 파일조 쿠폰: 파일조 쿠폰Thursday (October 17) 12-1:30 pm 파일조 쿠폰. Boxed lunches will be provided for all committee members in attendance. 파일조 쿠폰
Steven Sielaff kindly offered to help with room logistics for this meeting since Heidi and Tina are not able to attend the conference in person. However, Heidi and Tina do plan to ‘Zoom’ into the meeting remotely. 파일조 쿠폰
3) OHA-AIG web-page on OHA website – proposed changes and discussion: 파일조 쿠폰The OHA-AIG has a presence on the OHA website along with OHA committees and the Metadata Task Force. We are the only interest group: 파일조 쿠폰https://www.oralhistory.org/about/committees/ 파일조 쿠폰
The OHA-AIG web-page is our opportunity to let people know who we are, what we do, and how to get involved. The old page needs revising. Here is a link to proposed changes: 파일조 쿠폰
4) November 2019 “Discussion of Practice” 파일조 쿠폰 “Automated Transcription – Part II” (Brad Spry, Webmaster, University of North Carolina at Charlotte; and Allison Schein Holmes, WFMT & Studs Terkel Radio Archive) 파일조 쿠폰
5) New Business or Announcements 파일조 쿠폰
A big thank you to Dr. Charlie Hardy for a fascinating and informative presentation about sound recordings in all flavors. The session was recorded and can be seen and heard at the link below–highly recommended listening if you missed the session:
The OHA will have pre-conference workshops on Wednesday, October 16. Workshops will cost $40 for members and $50 for non-members, with the exception of the workshop sponsored by AncestryProGenealogists, which will be $30 for members and $40 for non-members.
Attendees can sign up to attend the workshops, without attending the whole of the conference. Registration information is available here.
8:30 AM – 12 PM An Introduction to Oral History – Jeff Corrigan
8:30 AM – 12 PM Radio Storytelling: Scripting and Editing and Telling Stories in Sound? – Molly Graham
8:30 AM – 12 PM Oral History for Genealogists, Part 1: “Tell Me About the Old Days, Grandma!” New Technologies and Enduring Best Practices for Capturing Your Family’s Oral Histories – Sue Verhoef, Roger Bell, and Daniel Horowitz Garcia
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM Intro to Video: Videography and Basic Storage – Christa Whitney
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM Protect The Value Of Your Labor: Survival Skills for Freelancing in Oral History – Liz Strong
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM Oral History for Genealogists, Part 2: Oral History and Genealogy: Partners in Storytelling – Dawne Slater and Sandy Olney *Sponsored by AncestryProGenealogists
Visit https://www.oralhistory.org/pre-conference-workshops/ for more information.
Greetings SOHA Members and Supporters,
We hope to see all of you at the OHA annual meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah October 16-20, 2019. This is just a friendly reminder that SOHA members can register at the OHA member rate. To register for the conference, go to http://www.oralhistory.org/annual-meeting. You can fill out the PDF registration form or register online with our SOHA preferred rates listed here: OHA Conference Registration for SOHA Members. If you have any questions, please feel free contact us via e-mail at [email protected].
Also attached is the SOHA 2020 Call for Proposals for our upcoming conference. The theme is “Home (Lands) & Oral Histories of (Re)Vitalization” March 27-29 in Las Vegas, NV. We hope to see you in Salt Lake and Las Vegas.
SOHA Graduate Assistant
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-5020